Thursday, May 20, 2010

Vienna

"There is no magic like traveling alone, without friends or colleagues to condition one’s opinions. It is the very loneliness that makes travel worthwhile: to be in isolation with historical forces, with only landscapes and books as guides."

Vienna was my first solo trip, and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I'd heard mixed reviews of Vienna - but alone, I was able to make my own impression of the city and it was a positive one.

Vienna is a beautiful city. Everywhere you look there is old architecture, beautiful buildings, picturesque streets. It's a city to get lost in, and for me, that was appealing. I went to gorgeously sculpted French style gardens at Bellvedere palace and Schonnbrun, and saw breathtaking views of the city. I walked along Ring Street and saw old musuems and statues, and St. Stephen's cathedral. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the Danube river. It's okay to walk along, but nothing compared to the beauty of the Bosphorous, in Istanbul, for example. The only thing I didn't do but wish I had, was go the Central Cemetary, which is actually not so central as it is located an hour from the city, but maybe that can be for my next trip!

I couchsurfed with a great host named Heidi who made me feel instantly comfortable. We shared some great meals together, and went to the opera together. This was by far my best experience in Vienna. The opera in Vienna is a huge part of the culture. We went to see Carmen, which is a classic opera, and there was not a place in the house (standing or sitting), that wasn't occupied. Standing at the opera for three hours, listening to singing in a foreing language may sound uncomfortable, but the music speaks volumes, and it is worth every second! In the performance we saw, Anna Netrebko, who is a legend in Vienna. People were crying when she sang, and they gave her a standing ovation. She was incredible, and it was cool to see such a huge part of their culture.

We also went salsa dancing and took a bike ride through the city at night! I have to say, I accomplished a lot in three days! It was definitely worth the trip & it was a good city to navigate alone, despite the fact that I didn't speak German. I'm glad I went!

No comments:

Post a Comment