Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Prague

"A good friend is a connection to life - a tie to the past, a road to the future, the key to sanity in a totally insane world."

Prague was a trip I was glad I saved for the end of my trip. I was so happy to see Maren & Beth & Sally, and have someone to talk about silly old times in Moscow. & to experience a new city with. We've all changed from studying abroad - but that's our future, and we can all relate to it.

Traveling to visit friends has a different pace than a purely historical trip. We got a chance to relax, and drink amazing, cheap, Czech beer! We talked, a lot, and I got meet all their friends from the semester. I felt comfortable sleeping in if I wanted, or eating peanut butter. Sally & Maren were great tour guides. Prague is a historical city, one where everyone, thankfully, speaks English. There are remanants from WWII, Communism, changes from every time period.

Due to their Czceh history class, Maren & Sally could tell me all about everything we saw! There was the key statue, that spells Revolution, which is the largest collection of keys anywhere in the world, and Kafka's grave, where Jewish people leave stones as a memento, and gorgeous old cemeteries. We went to the John Lennon wall, where Communist revolters used to post places to meet, and now has peace graffiti on it. Sally even took me to the Louvre, a cafe that Einstein used to frequent. Unfortunately, I didn't feel any smarter after being there, but we did get some delicious hot chocolate with ice cream. There's definitely lots to see in Prague, and I wasn't disappointed, but it was all the better because of who I was with.

The Prague study abroad program was wrapping up as I was visiting. Seeing Maren, Beth, & Sally near the end of their journey made me realize how soon I'm going to be saying goodbye to my own European adventure. Some of my close friends from Chambery have already packed up and left. It will be sad to leave, but I'm happy to go. It's been a great experience, and I'm sad that we'll never be in the same place at the same time again, but at the same time I'm ready to come home and see all my friends and family again.

For now, more adventures as my time winds down in Europe!

1 comment: