Thursday, May 27, 2010

Life is a Beach

"At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun."

So after my failed plans to go to Cote d'Azur in April, I decided I had to fling into one weekend or another. And so, for Pentecost, we headed down South for a long weekend.

It was the first "relaxing" vacation I took here. Although my whole trip here has been a break from the stressors of college, this trip was the first trip where we went with the intent to beach and relax, rather than sightsee. Thankfully, the weather agreed with us and it was complete bliss. Every single beach we went on was absolutely gorgeous - all quiet and serene with clear cool water to swim in and sand to tan on, and read. The Atlantic ain't got nothing on the Mediterranean. I'm sure there is a some difference between oceans and seas, I think oceans are bigger, but regardless, it was fantastic.


We rented a tandem bike one day and beach hopped, which was fabulous, although I have to say, a lot trickier than I imagined. I was in the second seat and I definitely didn't like the feeling of not being able to see what was in front of me, especially when there were lots of tourists around. Still, we managed just fine. Caution - if you want to ride a bicycle built for two, you better trust the other person. One old French man laughingly told us that people that honeymoon and ride a tandem get divorced. He was joking, but seriously, don't say I didn't warn you.

Also, we stayed in a camp site. It was my first time NOT couchsurfing in awhile, and I remember that, that too, has its benefits. You are on your own schedule: can wake up when you want, sleep when you want, go out when you want. And it's your own space: you can be messy or leave your things in the shower. It was great.

The only thing not so great: the sunburn! But you can't win them all, right? Oh, and the silly French trains. We got delayed for two hours on the way home. I can't decide if that's result of my horrible travel luck or not...it's been awhile, so something was bound to happen, right? Or maybe it's the trains. Another word to the wise: the train system in France is delayed, late, or on strike at least a quarter of the time. So always have alternate plans.

For now, onward! Time is slipping away!

No comments:

Post a Comment