Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Vallencia

“Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.”

Vallencia was the end of our Spanish adventure. In many ways, it was time. We had liveed out of a suitcase, seen much, & ate out a lot. But we wouldn't have wanted to miss Vallencia...it was great!

When we got there, we took a free walking tour to get our bearings & then went to the beach. I bet it's great to lay out in the sun when it is the season. It was windy, but warm when we went & I wanted to walk around forever. Ever since I was little I've loved the beach. We used to go to North Carolina when I was little & I was a little mermaid...always on the beach & in the water. It's strange for me to think about going on a beach holiday in Spain, when it is so much closer & cheaper to beach in the US, but for the Spanish, it would obviously make sense to go to Spanish beaches. I took some seashells & thought about my loved ones on other coasts...the east & the west. <3

The next day we went to a cermanic museum in a gorgeous old house. The house was more interesting than the cermanics there & i loved the bright colors & gilded ceilings. We also went to a gorgeous park, that was transformed by the city when the city walls were taken down as it expanded. After wandering all the way to the ultra-modern museum of arts & sciences, seeing several fountains and plazas, and seeing the entire city electrified by the night lights we called it a day. Vallencia seemed to have a very aged population - there were old people everywhere we went, and consequently, I don't think there was much of a night life there. Still, I'm not sure we would've wanted to go out. We cooked pasta at our hostel - which was cheap & delicious & met other people studying in France & watched the Olympics together.

On that note, it's strange to be in a foreign country cheering on team USA. It's not like everyone here is doing the same thing, which is so different than what I'm used to. When the hockey finals were on, I was talking on facebook with another American in Chambery, and we were both freaking out when the game went into overtime, & in the meantime, most likely no one else here was even watching the game. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as I would've hoped, but maybe next time. To close, in the spirit of USA hockey, you should all go watch the Miracle on Ice speech.
The original is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwpTj_Z9v-c&feature=related

& the better version is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CdJTfGiRCI

I love that little kid & can't wait for my kids to be hockey obsessed...just like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment