Sunday, March 21, 2010

Regional Exploration (part I)

"but the warm summer breezes/and french wine and cheeses/put all [her] ambitions at bay/...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic/but i had a good life all the way."

Yes, life in france is good. & my only ambitions these days involve traveling.


This month I spent some time getting to travel in my region, because I was lucky enough of to have some visitors to explore with! Last weekend, my friend sam, who I hadn't seen since high school came to spend the weekend. she is on exchange in nice & thought it would be fun to see another part of france, so down she came. We went to Annecy - known as the Venice of the Alps & home to the best buscuit shop in the world - & Lyon - the second largest city in France. Both were so much fun! Annecy is much smaller and definitely only worth a day trip, but beautiful all the same, especially if it's warm because of all the little rivers running through the town and the beautiful lake.

In Lyon, we had some more serious adventures, mainly because of its size. When we got there, we were trying to find the Old Town, and an older "somewhatsketchylooking" (yes, all one word, said very fast) guy came up & asked if what we looking for. We told him & he told us he would take us there, so off we went, 3 girls down a deserted metro tunnel with this guy. We were all exchanging glances & wondering if it was smart idea, but we went & he showed us the map to explain we were headed in the right direction. Then he starts to play tour guide in French, but all three of us are too nervous about the whole situation to take much in. Finally, after about a 10 minute walk we are at the edges of the tourist area we were looking for & then he asks if we want him to show us around for the day & we say no thank you quite firmly. We were scared he would ask for money or try to stay with us or something but no, he just smiled & left. I guess that just goes to show you how cynical people are these days. & I always think I'm the one that sees the good in people. We were lucky, I guess. We saw, surprise, more churches & the gorgeous old section of the city, which does have a cool astrological clock. We also went to this road of restaurants, and had an amazing dinner - the first dinner I've eaten out in France & I wasn't disappointed. I had a regional specialty called Tartiflette, that was quite delicious & of course, some amazing bread! What's not to love?

I'm really glad Sam came! I was really nervous things wouldn't be the same after so many years of not seeing each other, but I guess some things never change. Within minutes, we were talking about good old Orchard Park & all our mutual friends. It was so nice to have a little bit of home reach me all the way out here. It came at a really great time too, I was ready for some native English babble, & someone who could sympathize with missing creature comforts like Starbucks (which we did have in Lyon!!!!) & peanut butter. I hope she had as much fun as I did & that I get a chance to go & visit Nice sometime soon!

1 comment: