Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Daily Grind


"The secret of your future is hidden in your daily routine."

Lately, I've written a lot about my travel adventures, because they are big, vibrant parts of my life at the moment. & big things in your life can make your life sparkle in all kinds of ways.

But I think what really makes or breaks you are the little things. The routine of your daily life. For example, I couldn't make it through the day without those little crappy cups of hot chocolate we all buy at our school on break. Or without my roomates saying hello when they come home & chatting about the day. Or laughing with someone. Or getting mail. It's those little things that I continue to crave to make it through.

And those are the things I love to hear about from other people. Yes, I want to hear if something goes great, or not so great, in your life. But the day to day converations are more important. I want to know that you just bought a great new green sweater & can't wait to wear it. Or your kids just started their baseball season. Or you went ice skating last weekend & it was so much fun.

Those things are what you need and they give you insight into what kind of person you are, what you value, and what really matters.

I've been thinking about my routine in Chambery - I finally have one now after living here a little over a month. It's completely different than my routine in Moscow, or even my routine in New York, but all three reveal the same values.

I value friendship - every day I want to talk to my friends, old & new, support them, and interact with them as much as possible. I love having people over, going out even if I'm tired, & just being there for people.

I value my time - it frustrates me when I'm wasting time. I know how short life can be & I want to do as much as I can while I'm here. If I think something is a waste of time, I'll let you know, or I just won't do it

I value spontaneity - this is a new value I think. I've discovered that with more free time, I have so many possible things to do. I can go to Switzerland & couchsurf with a guy I've never met before, or go skiing in the Alps, or hop on the next train to just get away. & for the first time, that's totally fine, because I'm not responsible for anyone else.

I value discovery - I love to explore & to learn, about life, about history, about places, about people, and most importantly myself. This is why I love to read - I appreciate my silly financial journals now, because I can read those in English, novels, my classes - when they have new information, talking to other people who don't have the same view.

I value love - I realize just how lucky I am to have people that care about me, whether I am in Europe or America or anywhere else. That wonder how I am & are hoping for my happiness, even if I haven't quite figured out what that is yet.

Most of all, I value happiness - in the big, amazing moments & in the every day things. I want to define myself by what makes me happy, and run with it, even if it's not what people expect or what they think is right for me.

After all, this is my time. In Europe...& in life, & I want to make the most of it <3

2 comments:

  1. You discover so much about yourself when you go abroad. It isn't the traveling; it is learning how to live and be content with who you are no matter where you are. I love the feelings - good or bad. Thanks for putting my feelings into words.

    P.S. When is your program over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh that picture was such a cute surprise!! that makes me want to hug you so bad. haha. you're right though, you're very right. our daily routine really does define our goals and values and future. i miss you lots and lots. please please please get checked out when you get home - mrs. turner just passed today. watching my mom go through the loss of her best friend.. let's just say it's not something i want to do. so.. get checked out, ya? in my daily news.. i bought a blazer yesterday. you'd be proud.

    ReplyDelete