Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Volcanoes can't stop me...or can they?

"A journey is like a marriage. The only certain way to be wrong is to think you can control it."

Surprise!* I am still in Istanbul!

*Unless you live under a rock, you have probably heard about the volcanic eruption in Iceland that is the largest travel disruption in history in Europe. (On a tangent...I still can not get over the fact that Iceland is really green & Greenlandis really icy. Who was doing naming that day?) Of course, our flight was cancelled along with thousands of others, leaving people stranded around the globe.

While I have experienced many travel delays in my life (most of you probably know about my horrific travel luck by now), most have been for one or two days max. Unfortunately, this time the earliest available flight leaves April 26th, a whole week after we thought we would be back! I was planning a trip to the South of France this week and I am incredible bummed I will not be able to travel with my crazy Danish friend Victoria, but I am incredible lucky.

Everyone here has shown us the greatest hospitality. When we had to stay, our host was absolutely willing to have us for a longer time. Everyone is always cooking for us or taking us to cool local places or trying to speak English with us and I love it! It has been a wonderful trip, which I will recount in subsequent posts.

However, Istanbul is a far cry from Europe. I miss having people understand me & being in a place where I can at least semi-understand the language. & I am sad about missing my trip! Still...I am looking at this as just another adventure & another crazy story about my study abroad!

After all, I am safe & in a beautiful city & ready to enjoy the extra week of exploring!

No comments:

Post a Comment